Monday, January 16, 2006

Visitors and Victuals

Sunday marked the eighty-fourth birthday of my mother, The Grammy. Her annual annoyance at sharing the birthdate with Dr. King is now mitigated by her Alzheimer’s, so well-wishers no longer have to listen to a diatribe about “that rabble-rouser.”

In recent years, the birthday weekend has been highlighted by a visit from my brother John, flying up from D.C. to wish our mother a happy birthday, to eat a huge platter of fried clams, and to engage in three days of non-stop repartee.

One incident occurred in the Hallmark store, where we were picking out cards for The Grammy. The store clerk, a young woman with a pierced eyebrow, asked him if he had a “Gold Crown Card.”

“No, but he has a Gray Crown Card,” I offered, proving I had no fear of glass houses.

“Don’t listen to my much-older brother,” he told her.

I can’t recall where the exchange went from there, but we did seem to add a bit of hilarity to the check-out proceedings. We filled out the cards in the parking lot of the Queen Anne Nursing Home; my brother took the opportunity in his to inform the Grammy that I only visited to improve my standing in the will.

We had visited on Saturday, bringing a half-pound of lobster salad that The Grammy devoured in short order. Sunday’s offering was a rum-cake from the locally famous Montilio’s Bakery; again, The Grammy dispatched the offering with aplomb. When John squirmed answering questions about the welfare of Spunky the cat (dead for 10 years), I realized how seamlessly I have learned to construct feel-good fiction to spare grief to someone who would experience a loss anew with every visit.

We spent much of the weekend in research. The NFL playoffs are underway, and we needed to determine the best locations for food, drink, and wide-screen high-definition plasma televisions. Saturday’s winner was Murphy’s, a local pub where we saw both his Redskins and my Patriots go down to defeat. Sunday turned bitter cold, and on a whim we headed down to Haddad’s in Brant Rock. Here, across the street from the wind-whipped gray ocean, we hunkered down at the bar to watch the games and discuss them with the friendly locals, while a pretty redhead named Patty served us victuals and beer.

Later on Monday I got a call from my aunt in California. "I just talked to your mother on the phone," she gasped. "She told me that had been burned in a fire, that all her hair had been burned off." I reassured Helen that these things had not happened. Her sister was fine. To a mind damaged by Alzheimer's, though, such imaginings must be painfully and horrifyingly real.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. I'm impressed. I was prepared not to be, seeing as you snubbed me in your last comments on Beth'sFrontPorch (see my comment to your comment: http://bethsfrontporch.blogspot.com/2006/01/whats-fact-got-to-do-with-it.html).

;)

But I know you're Paul of "Paul of Black Irish Descent" on Dawn's Endless List blog, and I've seen you elsewhere. Lately I'm trying to make a habit of following the links of the folks who follow the same blogs I do.

NOW I know you're from Massachusetts, same as me, and that your profile fits me exactly except for the gender thing and the fact that I'm only part Irish and mostly Canuck.

Even your name's (almost) the same.

Paul, I ask you: are you my doppelganger?

Seriously, this entry is lovely and much more profound than what I've been writing lately. I expect to visit often and explore much more. Come see me too.

Paula
http://journals.aol.com/paulajlambert/PaulaLambert-Author

sunflowerkat said...

Happy Birthday Grammy. I'm sure she appreciated your visit and I'm glad you and your brother got some time to celebrate together.

Together time is always cause for celebration.

Judith HeartSong said...

"When John squirmed answering questions about the welfare of Spunky the cat (dead for 10 years), I realized how seamlessly I have learned to construct feel-good fiction to spare grief to someone who would experience a loss anew with every visit."

blessings your way my friend..... you helped me to make one of the best choices I have made in a while and I will not forget the favor.

Anonymous said...

Feel-good fiction. Works for me.

Love and kisses. I'm not dead.

Gannet Girl said...

Ah, another Grammy entry! Who could ask for more froma writer --such a blend of humor and pathos. (I realize that the Grammy could ask for much more from life at this point.)

I remember my father's recollection of his experience of horror when my grandmother asked about her cat for the first time in months and months. He had disappeared only days before; my father was sure he had become dinner for a great-horned owl and had not thought to construct a suitable lie. Fiction being perhaps a better word.

Happy birthday to your mother. I'm so sorry she can't read the love in your entries or see the relationship between her sons that would no doubt have given her much joy.

Gigi said...

I love the way your family loves and laughs your way through separation and sadness. And the way you write it; with humor and compassion.

The poor Grammy; I can't imagine such horror. Why does the mind do such things? Mom hasn't been going to these place yet, although she has dropped no less than seven cell phones down the john. And counting.

I also love you and your brother and your choices regarding all forms of entertainment ~ can I come hang with you guys? My diet is boring me to tears...

Gannet Girl said...

I just dropped back in to tell you, since I know you are one of the few people who would appreciate this: my gm RECOGNIZED me today. Five whole minutes of conversation. A 10 hour round trip totally worth it to know that she knows that I came to see her.

Anonymous said...

..tee hee..Grammy's birthday sounds much more interesting than mine...

Anonymous said...

Simply wonderful writing..thank you

alphawoman said...

Hahhahah to you and your brother. I would love to hang out with you guys! Happy B-day to your Grammy. And looking at the comments....you may have a new admirer and so close to home!!!!

DesLily said...

I think i like your brother lol.. i can remember back when spontanous combustion happened like that with me and others and i found i wished that feeling would just stay with me forever.. it must be the laughter.

http://herethereandeverywhere2ndedition.blogspot.com/

Globetrotter said...

I gave my husband a moment of concern lately when he found my paints in the fridge. 'No this is not early onset Alzheimer's dear, this is where I intend to keep my paints as cold as you keep your beer.Get used to it.'

Just read your first comment on the left of the screen and it appears that you might be a doppelganger. If so, wanna join me for some oysters and beer in about an hour? You'll find me on the sunny outdoor deck of the Crows Nest overlooking the gulf.

Christina K Brown said...

Paul...


This is why I come to your journal. Super writing.



xxoo

Anonymous said...

Haven't read in a while. I am so glad to be back. Your writing is amazing. The part about Spunky was so touching. Love you! Feisty

emmapeelDallas said...

I loved this entry, and especially the part about Spunky. I so agree (about sparing grief).

Judi