Monday, July 24, 2006
Think Less, Rock More
I've made visits to Salem during the last two weekends. Yes, I'd love to claim that my object was to ponder the writings of Nathaniel Hawthorne while touring the House of Seven Gables, or to reflect upon the hysteria presided over by his ancester, Judge Hawthorn, who ordered the executions of dozens of innocent townspeople for their alleged witchcraft.
However, to be perfectly honest, I was merely continuing my quest for complete summertime indolence. My destination, therefore, was the Rockmore Restaurant, a barge afloat in Salem Harbor offering all the amenities to wile away a summer afternoon.
The Rockmore started as a launch driver's shack, but it became such a popular hangout for boaters that it was eventually expanded to include a kitchen, a bar, and a dining area. Crosby launches can bring more than thirty hungry, thirsty landlubbers at a time out for an afternoon or evening of music, food, drink, and general Buffeteering.
On our first visit, the Ladyfriend and I brought along two scurvy knaves who were temporarily in our custody: eight-year-old Conor and four-year-old Molly (we figure it is never too soon to expose them to culture). In addition to devouring the hamburgers, hot dogs, nachoes, and chicken fingers we ordered, the two scalawags enjoyed feeding the striped bass that live under the barge. These usually noble fish have here become as tame and aggressive as sea gulls, glutting themselves on offerings of fried clam strips and French fries, even snapping a fry out of your hand as you hold it at the surface. Some of the fish are more than two feet long.
Our second trip, intended as a pre-dinner cocktail hour, was cut short by the sudden advance of thunderstorms. We were aboard for the first squall; it was actually energizing to be out on the harbor as the wind whipped up and the rain pounded on the canvas overhead. One look to the west, however, convinced all of us, customers and crew, that it was time to head for land. We could see the cloud-to-ground lightning from 10 miles away.
Seeing the stripers in a feeding frenzy caused me to think about my late grandfather, George. He had spent his life as a fish cutter and then a fish salesman, and, in his retirement, he had pursued stripers tirelessly. He'd never managed to catch one, though. At the Rockmore, he could have hand-fed French fries to them. I don't think he would have approved.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


14 comments:
I was wondering where you were. Turns out you were busy shanghaiing tiny conscripts into a life of buffeteering. Well done!
We visited Salem a few years back, staying at the Hawthorne Inn, as I recall. It was a beautiful little town. Had a wonderful chat with a witch down at a local pub. She was very charming, and could really hold her Sam Adams too.
Are you a chip off the old block! ha! Joe and I went to Salem...twice...the only time we have been to Boston. Great place. Wonderful food. Terrific ambience.
This certainly does modify my mental vision conjured up by the word 'Salem'. I was once in Massachusetts for ONE DAY, so really enjoyed this tale, masterfully told as usual. The bass 'n fries story made me think of Supersize Me.
We were on a sunset dolphin cruise in the Gulf of Mexico last week and held up chips which the gulls flying alongside snatched. A couple of true knaves were holding up bottle caps, which the gulls ignored. I'm sure you've seen this before, but it was enchanting to this desert rat.
*debbi*
Looks like a great place for a meal. Reminds me a little of a place on the Ohio River, at a place called E. Town. Ain't it great how those dead writers haunt us everywhere?
Salem is a sad reminder of what can happen when narrow-minded, self-ordained zealots are in control. Eventually, they tired of Massachusetts and went to Texas, where they found a dearth of witches but a wonderful abundance of execution vehicles capable of frying people and reducing the need for those unwieldy gallows.
Too bad about the storm spoiling the trip without the kiddies.
Beautifully written. I can envision this in the New Yorker.
V
Enjoy your blog!
http://www.mojo-place.blogspot.com/
You know Paul, you sound as if you are really enjoying your life right now. :)
Hand fed striped bass???? I've heard it all now. What did you catch your record striped bass on? A french fry jig with a side of bacon!
Scurvy knaves.....you kill me!
Chris
My Blog
Leo.
It seems that you are having a delightful summer. I think teachers retain a special childlike appreciation for the lazy days of summer.
We spend a few days out on Long Island. Every time I found myself in a little port village, I couldn't help but think of you.
You know, you would still have readers if you deigned to write anything for us.... .
I agree with Robin. It's been a bit of a dry spell and am ready for new entry any day now. Hope all is well and you're just busy or wasting away in some tropical spot with no internet.
*debbi*
Where is Paul?
Hello?
Did you get burned at the stake in Salem for being a warlock?
Paul?
Post a Comment