Monday, November 27, 2006

Ol' '55

Well, my time went too quickly
I went lickety-splitly out to my old fifty-five
As I pulled away slowly, feelin' so holy,
God knows I was feelin' alive

With retirement now only two months away, I’ve been waiting for a sound track to emerge. I knew it would—it always does. It had to be able to express the conflicting emotions that have begun to wash over me: the exhilaration of having the gift of time; the trepidation that comes with uncharted territory; the wistfulness that accompanies the loss of the familiar and the comfortable.

And now the sun's comin' up
I'm ridin' with Lady Luck
Freeway cars and trucks
Stars beginning to fade, and I lead the parade
Just a wishin' I'd stayed a little longer
Lord, don't you know the feelin's gettin' stronger

The song that has emerged is “Ol’ ‘55”—not the harmonic Eagles version or the even prettier Sarah McLachlan cover—no, it has to be the spare, gritty Tom Waits original. I’m not driving a ’55 Chevy into this new stage of life, but the number is a pretty close approximation of my age, and six o’clock is the time I’ve gotten up most workday mornings for the last 35 years.

Six in the morning, gave me no warnin'
I had to be on my way
Now the cars are all passin' me,
Trucks are all flashin' me
I'm headed home from your place

For quite a few months now I’ve been headed home on Sunday nights, not riding with Lady Luck, but riding from the home of a lady I have been lucky to meet at this point in my life. She will continue her indispensable and compassionate work for a few more years as I explore new pathways.
And now the sun's comin' up
I'm ridin' with Lady Luck
Freeway cars and trucks
Stars beginning to fade, and I lead the parade
Just a wishin' I'd stayed a little longer
Lord, don't you know, the feelin's gettin' stronger

I might have stayed a little longer, or even a lot longer, but I feel good about leaving at the top of my game. There will be no talk of doddering along in a classroom as I go out the door for the last time. I can still
encourage, still entertain, still inspire. I am confident that I will find other outlets for those abilities before the stars begin to fade.
Well, my time went too quickly
I went lickety-splitly out to my old fifty-five
As I pulled away slowly, feelin' so holy,
God knows I was feelin' alive
And now the sun's comin' up
I'm ridin' with Lady Luck
Freeway cars and trucks
Freeway cars and trucks
Freeway cars and trucks…

(fade)

8 comments:

Cynthia said...

Paul, congratulations on the new journey ahead. I have the feeling you'll handle it very well, indeed. I've never heard this version of the song. I like it a lot.

Anonymous said...

Two months away?
You are not finishing out the school year?

Anonymous said...

All that we ask is that you let us ride with you.

... And I am requesting an autographed copy of each book that you have published in the years to come.

Some stars never fade.

alphawoman said...

I can't believe it. Where did the time go? I would retire in a heart beat if I could. But I can't. I'm certain that as one career ends another begin.

Lisa :-] said...

Retirement...what a concept.

Two months. Retiring in the bleak midwinter? Hope you're going somewhere warm and tropical to celebrate. Good luck!

Gannet Girl said...

It's hard to imagine...well, no it's not...I can see you sitting under an umbrella outside that beach restaurant you love, laptop and margarita in hand, writing career full speed ahead...but yeah: you are abandoning your AP kids in midwinter????

Gigi said...

Wow ~ I never heard this version either. I reloaded the page just to hear it again; so much more evocative; yearning, reflective. Excellent! I like the soundtrack of your life.

And what an exciting point in your journey, full of fresh paths and new adventure. Happy motoring...! ;D

Anonymous said...

So much to add to this post, but my contributions are insignificant compared to the weightiness of the thoughts expressed here. Thankfully,I also left my ballet company at the top of my game, and have no regrets at all. The hubby, on the other hand, has had many doubts about the decision he made (without me) to retire early.

It figures that you'd choose the Tom Waits version.