The pregnancy announcement came first. They were up from Philadelphia for Thanksgiving, and I took them to one of my haunts, the Anchor Inn, for breakfast. Chris ordered decaffeinated coffee. When I looked at her quizzically, she merely said, "It's better for the baby."
My reaction was one of stunned joy, equally heartfelt but less demonstrative than the whoops and shrieks that future aunt Erin Kate would exhibit a short time later. My pleasure is not in the least diminished by the realization that this event will make me a gr-gran-grandfa...well, you know.
Between the holidays, Matt and Christine did some soul-searching and decided that their future happiness lay in a return to Massachusetts, where both had grown up and where both families were centered. They would have to move quickly; such a move will require a new job for Matt and a suitable house in a suitable location. The clock is ticking.
So...a couple of Fridays ago, I flew to Philadelphia to help them load up a 24' Penske Truck. By two on Saturday afternoon we were heading for the Pennsylvania Turnpike, bound for New England, Chris in her car, Matt in the truck, and I in Matt's car. The contents of the truck are now in storage, and Matt and Christine are simultaneously looking at real estate and job opportunities while working in pre-natal doctor visits. They have open invitations to stay in any of four homes, and are judiciously spreading themselves around. The estimable Kathleen has certainly made them welcome here in Beverly.
Their goal is to be established in a home west of Boston with Matt in a new (software architect) job by the due date of June 10 (their second anniversary). I have no doubt but that they'll get 'er done.
Oh yeah, one more thing. Chris went for a scan yesterday. It's a boy.
It's a boy, Mrs. Walker, it's a boy.
It's a boy, Mrs. Walker, it's a boy.
A son...a son...a son!
--the Who
