On a 95-degree evening about eight years ago, I sat with my future ex-wife in the Coffeepot Restaurant in Sedona, Arizona. During the previous two days we had trekked through three of the four most well-known vortex sites in the area: Cathedral Rock, Bell Rock, and Airport Mesa.
Thus far, the most spiritually uplifting moment I had experienced occurred when the Coffeepot waitress delivered my chicken chimichanga.
The vortex experience is big business in Sedona. Shops abound featuring Native American and New Age paraphernalia. Tours visit the main and lesser vortexes (the locals never say vortices) and offer shamanic rituals, geomancy, totemism, and psychic revelation. What impressed me about these places was the total commitment of the people working there—they were all true believers. If they displayed any negative attitude at all, it may have been the frustration of dealing with tourists who regarded their spiritual places as must-sees in the tour book.
I had tried to approach the vortex visits with an open mind. I’d found all three--especially Cathedral Rock--to be aesthetically rewarding, but devoid of any revivifying energy. Two long hikes we had taken, through Oak Creek Canyon and Red Rocks (I had to throw away the socks) State Park had been the highlights of the visit. I do remember, however, the surprising ease with which we hiked for ten miles at 8600 feet in 100-degree weather. We barely perspired.
One vortex remained…Boynton Canyon. It is a bit more remote than the others, and draws fewer accidental tourists. The energy center is said to dwell near a rock formation called "The Lovers." I was by now totally skeptical, wondering how I’d let myself half-believe what I had read.
Two women were also hovering near the formation. As we spoke quietly to one, the other walked down a barely perceptible path through some scrub. She called to us, "It feels different over here." We walked over to join her.
No one spoke. Gradually, a breeze began to flow down the hillside. As it increased in intensity, its sound grew more pronounced: loud, but yet gentle. It washed over us like a waterfall. I have no idea how long it lasted—it could have been thirty seconds, it could have been five minutes. I do know that no one moved or spoke until it whispered to a stop. "What was that?" someone (it might have been me) asked.
That was it. No discovery of a power animal, no spiritual healing, no psychic revelation. But something happened on that ledge, something positive. I still am able to summon the experience after eight years, and it never fails to lift me up.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Hmmmm...maybe that explains what happened to me in Big Bend almost 2 years ago. I was with my sweetheart, and we'd hiked to an abandoned hot springs that had been a health spa, of sorts, in the early 1900's. As soon as we stepped into the clearing, I felt a change...and mentioned it to Chris. I said, "I'm not religious, but this place feels almost holy to me." He didn't feel it, but the feeling was so strong that when we got back to civilization, I went to a bookstore and bought everything I could find on the abandoned springs.
It turns out that it was, indeed, an amazing place, and perhaps I had felt some good karma after all. A woman had run a general store there for years, until the 1950's, and she was known for helping indigent Mexicans who often crossed the Rio Grande there. In a time when there was no civil rights movement or any particular sense of social conscience, she gave groceries to hungry people, and delivered several hundred babies over the years, at no charge, simply because she was there and could do it.
I love to think that what I felt in that place was some of the goodness that still remained.
Judi
I believe that anytime you can experience an energy so serenely, blissfully positive, complete with a sense of the suspension of time, you have touched on something akin to the Buddhist concept of enlightenment.
I've been to Sedona as well, and it is an astonishingly beautiful place. It is easy to become mystical there.
I'm convinced there really are some sacred places that have nothing whatsoever to do with any human dedication of the place as an official sacred place. There really is something to some places having a unique energy. Oh, I've moved over to blogspot as well.
{Inhaling deeply} mmmm smell that? Like a breath of fresh air...You have just given me a smile, some nostalgia and warm embrace! Thanks Paul!
I would miss your writing...
Jodi
Post a Comment