Saturday, February 25, 2006

Aboard the Fanta-Sea

At 6:00 A. M., all of us were in the Marina Diner, but unknown to one another. I hunkered down at the counter over my blueberry pancakes and sausages, wondering which of the other diners would turn up at the boat, the Fanta-Sea.

We converged at the boat at 6:45 and introduced ourselves. Bill was a retiree from Michigan who’d driven down to Florida with his wife in their camper. Roy was a cattle rancher from South Dakota who was accompanying his wife, an engineer, on a business trip. Jason was a young father from Chicago, out for a day on his own while his wife took the kids to Busch Gardens. Bill and Jason were avid freshwater fishermen who had brought their own rods and reels, expensive rigs that were useless for the type of reef-fishing that we would be doing.

Most charter boats have a captain and a mate, but the Fanta-Sea was run by two guys who alternated in those roles. Bob was taciturn and would turn out to be a master at luring a grouper onto a five-ought hook; Tom was garrulous and thought himself witty, a misconception of which I would gradually disabuse him during the course of the day.

“We’re both captains,” Tom said, “so we can both tell y’all what to do.”

“Glad to hear that,” I answered. “Now we won’t have to worry about tipping the mate.” Roy thought that was about the funniest thing he’d ever heard. But then, Roy was from South Dakota.

Our two captains took us out 27 miles to the reefs before we began to fish. The day was foggy, and I did not see the spectacular sunrise I has seen on previous trips. During the ride out, details of our lives began to emerge. Bill had been a tunnel rat in Viet Nam. Back in the States, his weight had gradually ballooned to 360 pounds, a condition he blamed on PTS. He’d recently had his stomach stapled, and his weight was down to 230. Roy raised Black Angus cattle and lived 20 miles from his nearest neighbor. Jason was so quiet that we thought he might be getting seasick until he opened his cooler and downed the first of what would turn out to be seven or eight Coronas. He had even brought lime wedges.

We tried a number of spots along the reefs. Bait was cut sardines and chunks of squid. Jason was the first to hook up with a big fish, but he was slightly built and unable to get the fish “on the elevator” before it found some underwater structure and got off. We missed fish by instinctively setting the hook; grouper have soft mouths, and the hook tears out. Captain Tom jeered each of these misses with some version of “Ha! You got burned!”

Captain Bob demonstrated by hooking a fish and cranking furiously on the reel. He brought a 25” black grouper on board, three inches above minimum size for a keeper. I caught a series of red grouper, all a couple of inches short of the 20 inch minimum for reds. We all caught a number of gray snapper, or grunts, but by mid-afternoon I still didn’t have my keeper, and I had promised a grouper dinner to a lady friend who had flown down to spend a few days.

We’d had sandwiches and beer while moving to a new spot, and when the bell went off, I went to the bottom quickly. Within a few seconds I felt a chomp, waited a beat, and began to reel like--well, like Bob. He knew I had a good fish on, and told me to keep ’im comin’. We were in eighty feet of water, but soon the form of a large black grouper appeared just below the surface. Bob hoisted it aboard, and I had my keeper.

Back at the marina, a small crowd of tourists gathered as Bob laid out our catch. Our total of six legal grouper was the second best at the marina for the day. As Bob filleted the catch, he got a lot of unwanted attention from egrets and pelicans that landed on the cutting box and nearby pilings and attempted to snatch offal and skins. It’s illegal to feed these birds but in their search for easy meals they have become as aggressive as robber gulls. As Bob walked over to the dumpster with the fish guts, a great blue heron stood on the cover, watching the proceeding like a dour undertaker in a blue serge suit.

Bill’s wife had come down to meet the boat. It was her birthday, and Bill had promised her a fish. I had my filets in a plastic bag, and I told her how Crabby Bill’s Restaurant nearby would cook them up with sides for a small price.

“Oh, Bill," she gushed, "can we go?”

“We don’t need no restaurant,” he replied, shooting me a dirty look. “I got the Weber Smoky Joe right in the back of the truck.”

“Please, Bill? It’s my birthday.”

I tipped the captains and left the marina without hearing the denouement of that little drama. Back at the Palm Pavilion, I left the filets in the refrigerator and joined my guest on the beach.

Two hours later, we were at Crabby Bill's, feasting on blackened, fresh-caught grouper, salad, and baked potato, washed down with rum-runners. We had sushi, prime rib, and lobster tails for our other vacation dinners, but we agreed that the grouper somehow topped them all.

14 comments:

Deborah said...

Glad your back! Congrats on the catch, it sounds like grouper is my kind of fish, anything that needs a set hook gets away from me.

Christina K Brown said...

I am jealous beyond mentioning.

Congrats!

Gannet Girl said...

You're back!

Sounds like a great day, even to a person who would have spent it back on the beach.

emmapeelDallas said...

Wow, it sounds like you had a great vacation! "Tom was garrulous and thought himself witty, a misconception of which I would gradually disabuse him during the course of the day" :)) It's good to know that even though you were on vacation, you were taking no prisoners...welcome back!

Judi

Paula J. Lambert said...

So you LITERALLY went fishing, eh? I was debating the odds, figuring 50-50. I'm glad you had a good time, and glad that THIS date went so well...
;)

Anonymous said...

Since 2004, I vowed never to step foot in Florida again, so it was nice to visit from my armchair and to fanta-size about deep sea fishing, which I will also probably never do. The hook stuff was a little icky, but enjoyed the thumbnail sketches of the guys. Sounds like a fabulous getaway in every sense. Glad there didn't seem to be as much wine at that feast.
debbi

Globetrotter said...

Well, since the week progressed to Lobster tails and prime rib, I guess we can all assume that rum-runners and blackened grouper turned out to be a much better romantic combo than duck and cabernet sauvignon.

Whodda guessed it...

Anonymous said...

Hey there, stranger! Glad this entry is nowhere near the last fishing tall story I've read. Sounds like you had fun.

DesLily said...

Welcome back.. sounds like a great vacation.

I'll take some grouper fingers please!

odie said...

I always enjoy your sea stories. You paint such a vivid picture.

Glad you had a good outing.

Theresa Williams said...

You wrote: “We don’t need no restaurant,” he replied, shooting me a dirty look. “I got the Weber Smoky Joe right in the back of the truck.”
----------------------------------
What great dialogue. Really made me laugh. Made me think of that New Yorker cartoon with the two cats looking into the mousehole, one of the cats saying: "Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"

Mrs. L said...

Only you could go fishing and leave such a big wake.

Coy said...

Ahhh ... fish tales as only a Single Man Writing could tell.
You picked a beautiful week to be here in Sunny F L A.

*** Coy ***

Chris said...

Paul, it is now official.....I am green with envy.....or is that sea sickness?

I just can't get into freshwater fishing here in TN since I grew up fishing the Atlantic and Gulf. You just made me homesick. Or at least miss the ocean.

Chris
My Blog