I'd seen Mark Knopfler in concert only a year ago when he was touring to support his Shangra-La release. In that concert, he'd mixed a heavy dose of Dire Straits in with his solo material. I'd been dazzled then, so I was more than curious to see him in partnership with Emmylou Harris.
Even here in Massachusetts, where country music is as often ridiculed as enjoyed, Emmylou's name elicits a singular response, especially from males: Oh, yeah, Emmylou. Not only does she remain gorgeous into her fifties, but her voice continues to ring out in crystalline perfection. She, like Knopfler, avoids props and gimmicks and focuses on the music.
Many of the songs were taken from their new release All the Roadrunning, which has been championed by Imus on his radio show. The crowd reacted particularly strongly to "This Is Us" and a revved up version of "Belle Starr." Knopfler was obviously proud of his ensemble, as he introduced each bandmember and gave the audience thumbnails of their musical chops. He jokingly bragged, "I've got Emmylou Harris playing guitar in my band." Emmylou would later humbly refer to her guitar-playing as "Folk Guitar 101."
Both of the headliners took time to highlight songs from their solo careers. Harris's numbers were not as well known to the Massachusetts audience, but quality is quality, and she was enthusiastically received. Boston loves Knopfler no matter what, but he did a triumphant "Romeo and Juliet" and a gut-renching "Sonny Liston" with just his bassist and drummer.
The crowd couldn't get enough, and brought the musicians back for no fewer than seven additional songs in three encores. "So Far Away From Me" turned into an audience sing-a-long. The powerfully moving 9-11 tribute, "If This Is Good-bye" was a particularly stirring moment for Emmylou.
All in all, it couldn't have been much better. I'd thought the two of them might do "Romeo and Juliet" together, as a dialogue, but Knopfler sang it alone. I was really hoping to hear "Pancho and Lefty" because of the way it showcases Emmylou's voice, and because I'd love to hear what Knopfler could do with the guitar riffs on his National steel; but, alas, I had to settle for near-perfection. Mark, Emmylou, if you read this, I'm available for consultation.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
Just the idea of Mark Knopfler and Emmylou Harris together is close to perfection. I was well into my twenties before I could tolerate any country music at all, and Emmylou's Leaving Lousiana was what drew me in. I've already planned their cd for my next commission check.
I bought their CD last week for my husband's birthday/Father's Day.
Heehee. It's too funny when people like us presume to know better than them. Fuck. It's true. We do.
I propose that we open a consulting business and invite these individuals to come hear our ideas. B & G Inc. (Belfast Cowboy and Globetrotter, Inc. )
They'd make a fortune on our brains and intuition. I swear.
I have to admit, I still can't quite tolerate listening to anything that sounds even remotely like country music ~ it's an affliction I developed while living in Houston for a couple of years in the 80's.
But as always, you make this sound like a concert I wish I had been at. How do you do that? :)
Um, "...a concert at which I had been...?"
No, that can't be right...
Oh, bother. :P
Goddamn, that sounds fine. Wish I'd been there.
I envy you that. I did get a chance to hear them on our local PBS station. Her voice is a perfect counterpoint to his. And the guitar!
V
It sounds like it was a terrific concert...
Judi
Wow, I would love to see Knopfler in concert, what a great voice. "Brothers in Arms" always gives me chills.
Chris
My Blog
It sounds like it was an awesome show. I remember you seeing Knopfler last year.
Now...do you have your Hornsby tickets?
:)
Post a Comment