Monday, September 18, 2006

What's in a name?

It is heady stuff indeed to realize that I might've named the most recent Saw Doctors CD, The Cure . Well, some might argue that it was actually Isak Dinesen, but hell, she's Danish, not Irish, so I'm taking credit. It's a convoluted series of events, so pay attention.

After my first Saw Doctors Concert, I wrote an enthusiastic review in my old AOL journal. In a fit of self-indulgence, I forwarded the review to Amanda McGrath, their publicist in Galway. Much to my surprise, Amanda responded immediately, thanking me for the review and informing me that she had sent it, web address and all, to the bhoys. That journal, like this one, was headed by the Dinesen quotation about salt water curing all ills.

Just prior to my third Saw Doctors concert last March, I purchased the new CD, and found the Dinesen quotation printed on the blank side. Does it strain credulity to imagine Davy and Leo visiting the AOL journal, seeing the quotation, and saying, "Jayz! There be the title of the new CD!"? Before you dismiss the notion out of hand, check out Amanda's response to my second review:
Paul,

A short note just to thank you most sincerely for your excellent review of The Saw Doctors concert at the Roxy in Boston. Great reading - I have forwarded your email to both Davy and Leo, the two principal songwriters in the band.

I am enclosing below a list of confirmed shows that the Saw Doctors will play in the USA in May to promote the USA release of the new Saw Doctors CD, The Cure. Keep a check on the bands website over the next couple of days. There is a possibility of a small club show in Boston being added to the list of dates.

www.sawdoctors.com

I would be grateful if you could email the tour list of confirmed shows below to any friends you may have in the various cities that the Saw Doctors will play in the USA in May, in particular in the West Coast or Florida, as the Saw Doctors are not as popular in both of these areas as they are on the East Coast of the States.


How about that? Now, I know that there will be naysayers who will point out that The Cure was probably named long before I ever saw the Saw Doctors, but I shall not be dissuaded. I am an honorary, CD-namin' Saw Doctor from this point on. Anthony, hand over that harmonica.

Another naming issue: I've decided that the title "Single Man Writing" no longer befits these pages. When I chose the title, I was trying to play on "Dead Man Walking", but, in truth, it sounds more like "Single Man Looking". All the "Single Man" entries (decor, cuisine, haberdashery, etc.) are safely tucked away in the archives. Now happily ensconced in a relationship with the oft-mentioned Ladyfriend, I've decided upon a more apt title (although the URL will go unchanged, at least for a while).

Why "Waterboy"? All one has to do is look at the photographs I've posted. And, it was a nickname given me by a valued colleague because of my obsession with all things marine and aquatic. And, Waterboys was the name of the band in which multi-instrumentalist Anthony Thistlewaite and drummer Fran Breen played before joining the Saw Doctors.

I just love it when everything fits together.

13 comments:

Gigi said...

Why, you CD-namin', son-of-a-Saw-Doctor, you!

Congratulations! Jayz, it all does come together, doesn't it? I had a feeling you'd be changing the name soon, and there you've gone and done it. And what could be more perfect?

Well done, Waterboy!

alphawoman said...

Can't get enough of Saw Doctor postings. Love the new name...love the story. Though I finally got my links up over at MLIAOB and Single Man Writing is on top (imagine that and it was totally automatic!)..

Globetrotter said...

Hmmmm....methinks it was the Globetrottah who predicted quite a few months ago that the name of this blog would be a changin'

Now don't go re-arrangin'...

Sorry, Waterboy. Got Bob Marley lyrics ringin through my head, and you're right. Nobody down here ever heard of the Saw Doctors 'cept me and those guys in the Irish Pub...

Erin O'Brien said...

You waterboy. Me Erin.

You beat chest with fist. Me make potroast.

Cynthia said...

Love the synchronicity here, and I like Waterboy for your title much better. It fits. Now get to work on the next CD title.

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Confluence!
V

emmapeelDallas said...

I'll read you no matter what you call yourself...but for what it's worth, I like Waterboy...

:)

J

Lisa :-] said...

An I the only one who doesn't really like "Waterboy?" In my sleep-deprived state, it makes me think of "waterhead boy." Never mind. When I saw "Waterboy" on my Bloglines list, I couldn't figure out who the hell it was...

Anyway, Paul...I'm happy that you're happy.

And will someone please send me a Saw Doctors CD? I'll pay ya for it...

Theresa Williams said...

Always great to have those brushes with celebrity. I once got some e-mails from Tobias Wolff after I'd sent him one. I had a start for a moment: thought you were changing the name of your blog because you were getting married! Anyway, Waterboy fits. Hope things are great with you as we roll into Fall.

Chris said...

That is very cool, Paul. I don't blame you.....take credit:)

Coy said...

Waterboy? Hmmm ... guess Single Man Writing really is no longer fitting, congrats on that by the way.
Credit due where credit earned on the Saw Doctors thing. Does it strain credulity? I think not! I would readily believe if I were you too.
Being from Florida, as you might imagine, I have never listened to the Saw Doctors before. If you like ... forward away. I know your taste in music so I'm sure they would have to be worth a try.
*** Coy ***

sunflowerkat said...

"Waterboy" came up on my feedblitz list and I thought "Who's that?!?!" One click and there you are....it was an "ah ha" with a smile moment.

I'm SURE you named the album! :) And I know the buzz of getting connected with your favorite band. I just saw they are playing here soon.They were described in our paper as "the Irish Grateful Dead". I'll do my best to get to the show. Now....what do I have to do to get you to go see BRUCE!
:)

Deborah said...

Paul!

I've just spent the last half hour reading you. I love the pictures of the surfers and the martyr song was perfect background music. I am glad to see that you are now the waterboy and no longer the 'single man writing'.

Deborah