The summer cannot be allowed to end without one last trip to Martha's Vineyard. Small craft warnings were predicted, so I suggested to the Ladyfriend a trip aboard the
Island Queen, a passenger ferry that makes three round trip runs from Falmouth to Oak Bluffs each day. That sounded good to niece Susan and her new husband Kevin; before long, we had also enlisted niece Paula, her husband Marc, her children Megan and Joseph, and our hosts, my sister Nancy and her husband Paul.

I worked at Pier 37 in Falmouth Harbor when I was a teenager. It was one of the first "valet mooring" services on the East Coast--boats are stacked on racks and placed in the water by a huge forklift. As you exit Falmouth Harbor, you can see the Vineyard about seven miles across the sound.The
Island Queen makes the crossing to the Vineyard in about 40 minutes.

The opening to Vineyard Haven, actually more of a bight than a harbor, is marked by the West Chop and East Chop (pictured above) Lighthouses. Vineyard Haven, or Tisbury, is a dry town and the home of the original Black Dog.

Oak Bluffs Harbor is small and very well protected. Attractions include the oldest carousel in the United States, the quaint gingerbread cottages of the Methodist campgrounds, and a family favorite, Nancy's Restaurant. After an hour of shopping with the Ladyfriend, I managed to convince her to duck into the Offshore Brewhaus, where we discovered Paul and Kevin sampling the local brews.

Returning to Falmouth, we passed some sailboats flying spinnakers as they ran westward toward the Elizabeth Islands, toward the setting sun, toward summer's end.
8 comments:
Hi Paul....I know it's been a while but I see you're not writing as often. I'm glad to read that you're so happy.
I've missed you and your wonderful stories.
Your pictures are just beautiful. It sounds like you have a lovely summer....and this seems like a perfect ending for the season.
I agree. It sounds like it was a beautiful day, and oh, those spinnakers...absolutely gorgeous.
Judi
Great photos, Paul. It sounds like a wonderful day.
Loved your comment about the monks in Emma's blog. Too funny.
Have a great weekend!
Chris
My Blog
Thanks for taking us along on the ferry with you. Sounds like a beautiful day full of all the best things in life. Don't know what a bight or spinnaker are, but an entry that sends me to the dictionary is always welcome. But what's a dry town--no alcohol is my only guess. I believe summer's end brings your last school year?
*debbi*
Every hour spent shopping should be rewarded by one in the brewhaus, or so I am told by my shopping companion. Which is why shopping in dry towns must be very dull and thankless work indeed.
Wonderful pictures. Sunsets and summer's end ~ lovely.
I miss those gray clapboard/wood shake homes soooo much. As well as the gray skies. Don't think I'd even know how to paint one ...
Was only on the vineyard once and remember Oak Bluffs well. Hope to return some day when I visit MA. again.
Sounds like you had a wonderful summer, Paul. Have a meaningful new school year.
Maryanne
I could swear I left a comment here. Well, maybe I just imagined dleaving a comment here. Whatever ~ it was complimentary!
Beautiful photos, Paul, Thanks for taking me on your trip. I was never there & I enjoy your tour.
I must go there in person one day, you make it look so inviting~
Marie
Post a Comment