On Wednesday, January 24, I'll be giving an essay exam on Hamlet to my forty-two senior AP students. On Thursday, I'll read and grade the exams, and on Friday, I'll average and post the term grades. When I switch off my office computer, I'll have completed my thirty-five year career as an English teacher and department chair.
I have no idea what I'll feel at that moment. I do know that teaching was the right choice for me. I'd have made a fearsome attorney, but I think that career would have nourished aspects of my personality that I'd rather keep under wraps. I have done everything possible to insure a smooth transition for the students in my two classes and the sixteen teachers in my department. I have no regrets.
What has surprised me is how I am noticing so many little things that I realize I am doing for the last time. When I picked up the January school lunch menu for my bulletin board, I realized that it was the last school menu I'd be posting there (lasagna, pastrami, and the turkey dinner during the last week!). When I tore the December page off my desk calendar, I realized that January would be torn off by my successor. When I finish with materials I've developed for works that I alone teach, I begin to file them, but then I simply throw them away.
I'll be traveling light. I'm leaving behind my leather chair, my office fridge, and the artwork on the walls. My keys will be left on the middle of the emptied desk. I am, however, bringing with me the desktop nameplate given to me by a friend and colleague when I assumed the department head position. And in a green metal box hidden in the back of a desk drawer, I have saved the most personal and precious of the mementos--photographs, letters, thank-you notes--that I have received during my career. I'll be taking those, too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

20 comments:
January 24 is my birthday. I guess in a way it will be your birthday, too. Congratulations!
Best wishes for a wonderful and successful retirement! You get to define what is meant by successful.
Paul, I wish you the best. These last few days would have to feel a little strange. I think your choice of mementos sounds right on target.
Oh ny God Paul! You are going on an adventure; a whole life change. That is so cool. Good luck and God speed.
It almost brings to mind the last episode of Mary Tyler Moore.
"Retirement" is a stupid word. According to Dennis Hopper anyway...
Luck!
I know that it is a very positive change for you, but I can certainly understand the melancholy you must be feeling. Congratulations, Paul. You deserve this!
Have a great weekend!
Chris
My Blog
Paul ..... I can imagine all the emotions that you must be feeling at this point. I'm hoping that these last few weeks will be filled with the stuff of happy memories, and that you go on to experience things that have dreamed of, but until now didn't have the chance to experience. I wish you all the best.
p.s. Thanks for 'Celtic New Year' ... a lovely version of a favorite song of mine.
Congratulations, Paul ~ and going out with Hamlet is entirely fitting. One of my favorite quotes ~ "There are more things in heaven and earth" ~ will have increasing applicability to your life.
Thanks also for the note about the gannets at Wellfleet. I've kept them in mind this past week.
Paul, since I'm new here I had no idea you were leaving teaching....
I'm sure it must be a bittersweet time for you. A time of lasts, as you said. Best of luck in your retirement.
I am bloghopping today. I came here via Kathleen. I wish you well in whatever you undertake, even if you just decide to chill. I have the greatest respect for teachers, especially ones that take their jobs seriously.
Peace
So many of the most precious moments of our lives are bittersweet. I know you leave knowing you've done well and made a difference in so many young lives. The road ahead will be your reward.
I'd be willing to bet you're an amazing teacher and yet I agree with Robin...that the quote ("There are more things in heaven and earth...")will have more applicability to your life in the months and years ahead. And I'll say it again: I wish you the best.
Judi
Hop in the car and come on over to Cleveland. We'll toast all those years and have a falafel sandwich.
Hey, I still keep in touch with my high school Latin teacher. He was one of the best guys I ever knew.
Congrats, guy ...
There are not many more noble ways to spend 35 years of your life.
Congratulations, Paul. Based on what I've read here and see on Gannet's blog, you're a great guy who does the title of teacher proud; I'm sure you're a fabulous educator and that the tiny box is filled to the brim with testaments to that.
Enjoy this next stage of your life--whatever that may be and wherever it may lead.
This is my first visit to your blog and I want to wish you all the best in your endeavors, as for what to do, I'm returning to school. I could use a tuter. LOL
Well, to the next times. All roads traveled have led to the road before you. May the new days to come be filled with the richness of all that life has to offer. May the wind always be at your back and the sun never rise in hues of a red dawn. To one of the greatest storytellers I have had the pleasure to read, I wish you this and more. Dalene
I can't help but think of all the students that have been fortunate enough to study with you. This entry makes me a little sad...but I know you are entering a new, fun and exciting part of your life. I'm very, VERY happy for you!
How is it you get to retire in the MIDDLE of the year?? I'm so envious. Since in my state they would yank your certificate (not that you will need it) and in my district they would deny you retirement benefits (except in the direst of circumstances), this entry has led me into dark, fearful thoughts about your health. All totally unfounded, I'm sure, since I'm reminded that you live in civilized Massachusetts, not in the wild, wild West, where you break your contract and the Principal demands a show-down in the hallway and the Superintendent points to the noose hangin' from that saguaro. I will be thinking of you on the 25th as I drag myself out of bed at 5 a.m. How marvelous! I look forward to your entries on this brave new world.
*debbi*
Wow! Congrats on retiring from a successful career! I know what hard work and dedication that represents. I have taught elementary school for 26 years and at a private High School for Kids on Student visas from Hong Kong for 3 years. I was also trained in High School English to, but I think I chose the better path for me with the little kids. I'm on a health LTD leave now which I know will just continue until I retire in Oct. '09. I too, have no regrets. I don't have kids but I figure I have had great impact on many over the years.
Thanks for "happening" upon my blog and listening to my song! There is a lot of poetry on my blog but that is my first and only song up so far.
Looking at your profile, we like many of the same musicians...I was weaned on Joni, Bruce C. JT, Gordon Lightfoot, Van Morrison,and just love Bonnie! I've seen her twice in the last 4 years!
I'm sure you will love retirement! So many neat things to do!
All the best!
(I have no idea how you found my blog either as I don't recognize any of the other people who commented!)
Post a Comment