A few years ago I wrote a bittersweet piece about the first year that I was separated, living apart from my children for the first time, and getting through the holidays. I republished the piece last year, and on both occasions I heard from a number of people who were coping with broken families and loneliness. Separation and divorce certainly can put a strain on what is supposed to be a joyous time of year, and indeed, for some, for many, it is the most difficult time of year. My holidays have gotten immeasurably better, and I wish the same for everybody who, like me, has struggled in the past.
I am not a religious man. I try to be respectful of the beliefs of others, and I try to smile pleasantly when someone lectures me on "the true meaning of Christmas". I am not about to be told, however, that I can't celebrate the warmth and fellowship of the season unless I adhere to a particular set of religious beliefs. Nor am I likely to waste much attention on people fussing over some kind of ridiculous quota system to champion their own favored holiday rituals.
My attitude is this: it's all good. Creche scenes on the town green? Fine by me, as long as they are privately funded. Public school choirs singing Handel's Messiah? Why not? It's great music. People celebrating the Winter Solstice? Ramadan? Chanukah? Kwanzaa? Even Festivus? If people are smiling, singing, dancing...I'm there.
Relax. Smile. Take it all in. Merry Christmas.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

15 comments:
I agree with you 100%. It's all good! Festivus for the rest of us!
Merry Christmas Paul!
"If people are smiling, singing, dancing...I'm there."
If only that could be the main focus of human religion. That would be much preferable to the way we normally use our various beliefs--as clubs to beat the crap out of one another...
Sigh!Merry Christmas, Paul!
i think my complexion has frozen into a permanent blush.
oh my hoonas.
i guess it was bound to happen. thank god you have a sense of humor.(and judging from this post you write like a demon, too. i must backread.) but why, oh why couldn't your first visit been back when i did the nice homey post about how to make brown gravy?
have a terrific Tet!
FN
I've already got my Festivus Pole set up and my list of the ways my loved ones have disappointed me over the past year ready to go!
Let the revelry begin!
(Your bittersweet post on being newly alone during the holidays was touching. You've come a long way baby....)
Great music! Is that...um...name right out of my head...Siberian, Transiberian, whatever...well, you know who I mean?
Mannheim Steamroller.
Oh, just that blue sky makes me feel more festive (I didn't grow up with white Christmases- certainly not the dark ones I get here now).
You forgot the Feast of the Sacrifice ;-)
God Jul, Paul - which, by the way has nothing to do with any god except perhaps Odin!
:)
Any celebration that produces positive vibes and a sense of caring and community is good by me. Merry Christmas to ALL !
There's got to be lots of food and drink as well :-)
Cumin, Pepper, Thyme, Rosemary, and Salt say "Hello"!
(Seasons' Greetings)
Festivus rocks, Paul:)
I look forward to getting back to reading your blog after my sabbatical ends in January!
Chris
My Blog
I remember that bittersweet piece; nearly broke my heart. What a difference a little time makes.
I'm with you, my friend. Whatever you celebrate is fine by me ~ just celebrate. This year, I'm all about Saturnalia, with a little Festivusian pole dancing and airing of the grievances thrown in...good times!
Be Happy * Be Healthy * Enjoy!:D xxoo
merry christmas paul. netti
Oh, I so agree! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!
:)
Judi
Post a Comment