The next step after state testing in schools (in Massachusetts, the MCAS) involves audits from groups like the EQA, or Educational Quality Assurance team. The EQA is sent to ascertain whether every single endeavor undertaken in a school is “driven” by student test scores. The EQA does not look at art, music, athletics, business and technology, or any other non-tested (read “unnecessary”) offerings. The EQA did not care that my urban rim high school’s robotics team had won three national medals, or that the academic decathlon team had recently placed third in statewide competition.
During the last decade or so, less of my time has been spent teaching and more of it spent placating groups of self-important, sanctimonious blowhards like the members of the EQA team. Our system administrators like to have me on these focus groups because I’m well spoken and because I (reluctantly) administer the most successful MCAS program in the city. I’m sure they are fearful that I am liable to say the wrong thing, but thus far I’ve been able to amuse myself with cynical comments that remain out of the ken of the visitors.
This time, I didn’t have to say a word. Mr. To did it for me.
Mr. To is a diminutive Chinese man who works in the English Language Learner program. I grew to like and respect him when we worked in the same school years ago. He is past sixty, with an unfortunate comb-over and thick glasses, but there is something in his presence that projects great dignity.
Mr. To was recognized by the chair of the EQA.
“My name is Kin Te To,” he began. “I must come to America from Hong Kong before 1997, when Communists take over. I lose everything to Communists, but here I find work and a new home. I come to this school, and everyone--teachers, principal, custodians--everyone learn my name. Everyone say, ‘Good morning, Mr. To.’ It make me very proud.
But you hear my English. I still have problems. In Hong Kong, I am college professor, but after ten years, my English still not so good.
So I ask you: Do you think it fair to take student in this country for one year--FOR ONE YEAR--and make student take this test?”
The room was silent, until the chairman began to temporize about the reasons for the policy. Mr. To was having none of it. He reached into the pocket of his suit coat and pulled out a tattered bundle of loose-leaf paper.
“This is essay that a girl in my class wrote about MCAS. She is a senior, and has failed English part four times, FOUR! But she is very smart girl, and speaks Mandarin, Cantonese, and French. She get good grades in all subjects. This is what she write.”
Mr. To--Professor To--tilted his head back and adjusted his glasses. “Mr. To, I am sorry to fail MCAS again,” he read. “I want to pass to make you proud of me. I do all my work and go to tutor. But when I get MCAS book, I get so nervous that my mind is just empty. I know I must not graduate now. I am so sorry.
I come to America, and in America I learn shame and failure. It is my fault, Mr. To. I try my best.”
Kin Te To lowered the papers, dog-eared from frequent reading. His eyes glistened behind the glasses. He made a tiny fist and thumped his own fragile chest.
“This break my heart,” he said.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
This post broke my heart, too, Paul.
Thank-you for keeping us enlightened about groups like the EQA. Did the blowhards get it? What, if anything can be done to change the current situation?
Bravo to Mr. To.
Well, for starters. . .
The NYT is reporting that many schools are focusing almost entirely on math and reading to the exclsuion of other subjects in order to meet the testing standards set by No Child Left Behind.
We might start by remembering that it is entirely possible to READ history and geography and literature and science and economics and ...and...and... .
Oh, and that it is entirely possible to communicate literally and affectively (and, btw, effectively as well) in languages such as Mandarin, Chinese, and imperfect English.
Don't get me started. Oh, never mind (EL here); you already did.
One of the things I find ironic about NCLB is that it is statistically impossible to achieve the standards that have been set. Where are the math skills of the people who devised the plan?
Teaching to the test does little to prepare students for life situations. I have yet to come upon a situation where I need to know when and where those two trains are going to collide.
I'm with globetrotter. In addition to making feelings known at election time, what can be done?
Odie
Odie
I once took my car back to the dealership for a check up. The manager of parts and service was a tall, regal man who possessed the dignity and bearing of someone royal. There were literally dozens and dozens of framed letters hanging all over the dealership, praising his work, and commending his treatment of customers. I have never, ever met anyone like him before or since. Everything about him was compelling. From his smile to his steady gaze, to his soothing, even manner of speaking. He was a CEO in a workman's uniform. Courtly, polite, and solicitous without being patronizing or self serving. About a month later there was an article about him in the paper. At first glance, I thought he had died or something, but it soon became clear he was being honored as a former member of the Tuskegee Airmen, the segregated black unit that flew during WWII. And never lost any of the bombers they were charged with protecting on their many missions. Everything about him commanded respect. Like Mr. To. If life were a meritocracy, these are the heroes among us who should be kings.
It breaks my heart too. Well done, Mr. To; the Blowhards of this world wish they were half the man you are.
And well done, You. You do make an eloquent point.
Or do I mean 'make a point eloquently...?'
*Note to self ~ ask a Blowhard.
This brought tears to my eyes. 'NCLB' IS leaving many of our young behind. I'd like to paraphrase another blog entry to put this in larger perspective: as a nation we look back in pride at efforts to expand equality. We define ourselves as a nation of immigrants & opportunity. We look back in shame at choices made by fear & intolerance. (www.blogforarizona.com Opposition to English Only legislation entry.) One-size fits all high stakes tests purport to be about equality/high standards, but educators know it is resulting in the opposite. We will soon have a large pool of non-diplomed labor who will have to work for cheap wages. Hmmm...
*debbi*
It breaks my heart too. I wish I knew how we could change this situation...
Judi
It's a shameful state of affairs.
We just learned that the children in our school were allowed to use calculators to test basic arithmetic skill on our PSSA's. I don't agree with the usage of standarized testing to begin with, and this demonstrates how ridiculous the whoe thing is. Excuse me....what are THOSE test scores supposed to indicate???
Post a Comment