Monday, March 20, 2006

St. Patrick's Eve

I decided to try serving dinner before the Saw Doctors performance, so I picked up gray corned beef, a head of cabbage, potatoes, carrots, onions, and Irish butter. The corned beef, actually an Irish-American tradition, needed to be soaked and then boiled for several hours, but it came out tender and tasty. The lady friend brought cheeses and olives, and my sister brought the soda bread. Judging from the quantity of food consumed, the single man has found himself another specialty of the house. We raised a jar in several toasts as “Long Journey Home” served as a musical backdrop.

At seven we started into Boston. A certain driver was accused of going too fast, as his sister tightened her seatbelt. In fifteen minutes we were on Tremont Street across from the Wang Center, where a Marriot employee offered us valet parking for $20, a bargain in Boston for sure.

We bypassed the Roxy ticket line and sought out a vantage point in the ballroom. We settled on a spot in the balcony, about a third of the way back, with seats behind and a brass railing before, and a perfect view of the band. There was a bar steps away. We expected that the dance floor below would fill with the madding throng, and we were not disappointed. We were soon well acquainted with the other denizens of our balcony refuge.

The opening act was talented, but this was a Saw Doctors crowd. Before they went on, we were given our “N-17” (a route in Galway) signs to hold during the opening number, so I drilled the neophytes in the proper response: “I wish I was on the N-17,” sings Davy Carton. “Stone walls and the grasses green!” chants the crowd.

At nine o’clock, the boyo's hit the stage and Leo Moran hit the familiar chord progression introducing the song. The dance floor was by now teeming with aficionados, and Davy’s words brought a thunderous response. My lady friend, sister, and brother-in-law were right with them, brandishing their signs and belting out the lyrics.

It is impossible to describe the ecstatic, sentimental, inspiring transcendence that is a Saw Doctors concert. You didn’t think you knew their music, but now it seems like you know every word. You don’t like to dance in public, but now you are bumping and grinding and pumping your fist in the air. You never met all these people before, but now it seems as if you’ve known them for a lifetime. You’re usually careful not to drink too much, but now the beer flows like the water of life.

I noticed some subtle differences from the concert I attended last summer. I’d thought Davy, who does most of the singing, was the leader of the band, but this time it seemed to be Leo, with all his charming and quirky grins, gestures, shuffling dance steps, and his sign language during “Tommy K”. Last summer, the immensely talented Anthony Thistlewaite, who plays bass, sax, and harmonica, was content to stay in the background, but now he is fully involved in the on-stage antics. The keyboardist is new, and more inclined to come to the stagefront when playing accordion, or playing the driving jig on guitar during the frenetic finale, “Hay Wrap”.

“I’d kill for a pinta porter
Jayz, I’d kill for a pinta porter
There’s mad wild drink in Tuam, hay!
Get that wasp off of my sandwich!”

5 comments:

Gannet Girl said...

Now THAT'S the entry I was waiting for!

After reading that you were going to this concert and about Alphawwoman going to the Friday night one here, I see that my ignorance of this group indicates a sad state of affairs indeed. (I can't say that it makes me feel any better that everyone I have asked about the Saw Doctors just looks at me blankly.) And this review only confirms that thought. I couldn't have gone anyway, thanks to the root canal debacle, so: Thanks for taking us there!

alphawoman said...

I was in the very back of the auditorium (I will not go into how frustrating it was because I wanted to be there at 8pm and we arrived around 915)so I was at a distinct disadvantage. The tallest men in the world were in front of us and several more joined them...but it didn't matter, I was there and heard it.....and sang and danced and drank just a little!!hahah. They are going to be at the dublin ohio irish festival this summer. You bet I will have much better seats this time.

I googled Saw Doc's and read this interesting blog about this guy was going to move to another country and the most important deciding factor was if the Saw Doctors played there...they don't. He is torn up and not moving.

We are some loyal fans.

Have your son upload Hay Wrap or N-17 for audio intertainment and support!!!
HAY!!!!

Globetrotter said...

Paul,

It is so wonderful to see someone whom I like and admire tremendously(from a distance, of course, just in case the lady friend is reading!) having such a damned good time! I am so happy for you that you so obviously enjoyed your St. Paddy Day's Eve this year...

No, I know nothing about the Saw Doctors, and have never eaten corned beef and cabbage, nor even attended a ballet at The Wang Center, but you have painted a wonderful picture of a very special night...

Thank-you for the education:), but never forget the old adage about wine, women and song!

A Tale of Wine, Women & Song
copyright © 1977 by Edward L. Stauff, all rights reserved
(written in May of 1977 while drilling a well)

A Lady, a Fox and a Jack-in-the-Box
Sat drinking their afternoon tea
On the side of a hill by a rusty old still
With an excellent view of the sea, the sea,
An exceptional view of the sea.


And as they were drinking, the Fox starting thinking
Of wine and women and song.
He though to have fun in the afternoon sun
Until sunset, then all evening long, 'ning long,
And oh, would the evening be long!


There's not a thing wrong with wine, women and song,
Thought the Fox as he gazed at the sea,
And I'd have a ball if I had them all,
But I only have one of the three, the three,
She's a beautiful one of the three.


Then the Fox on the hill looked up at the still
And said, sitting up with a jerk,
"Tea may be fine, but I'd like some wine,
And I'll bet I can make that still work, 'twill work,
I am sure I can make the still work."


Then Jack he climbed out of his box with a shout:
"With a still you make liquor, not wine!"
Said the Fox, "Wine or liquor -- I'll not even dicker,
For even some ale would be fine, be fine,
Why, even some beer would be fine."


And soon the old still which sat on a hill,
It started to smoke and to bubble.
From under a shady tree, thus said the Lady:
"Methinks this may get us in trouble, in trouble,
I surely don't want any trouble."


By sunset the Fox and the Jack-in-the=Box
Had finished distilling their brew.
As he tasted his drink, the Fox he did think,
Of the three I've now got myself two, one two,
Of wine, women and song, I've got two.


Then said the young Lady, "I think this is shady,
I'll not touch a drop of this stuff."
But though she declined, the Fox changed her mind,
And soon she had drunk quite enough, enough,
Soon they all had drunk more than enough.


Then Jack, before long, started singing a song,
And the Fox thought, now I've got all three!
And the Lady turned red as the drunken Fox said,
"Tonight I shall make love to thee, to thee,
Yes, tonight I shall make love to thee."


"You belong in a cage!" shouted Jack, in a rage,
"You despicable Fox, so beware!"
And he jumped from his box at the sly, drunken Fox,
And attacked, as it were, from the air, the air,
And he yelled as he sailed through the air.


The noise reached a Toad in his earthy abode,
So he came out to watch the two fight.
Then he croaked, "You two fools are forgetting the rules!
Don't you know how to fight a duel right? All right!
Let's start over and do this thing right!


Then the Toad hurried back to his underground shack
And brought out a revolver for each.
Then the Toad led the Fox and the Jack-in-the-Box
To fight out their duel on the beach, the beach,
So they fought by the sea on the beach.


The duelers they heard as the Toad gave the word
To fight over the young Lady's hand.
To the Lady they bowed, then they counted out loud
As they paced off their steps in the sand, the sand,
As they counted and paced in the sand.


When ten steps were paced, the two turned and faced
One another, "Now fire!" Toad said.
But neither man one, though each fired his gun,
For they each shot the other one dead, one dead,
Both the Jack and the Fox were quite dead.


Said the Lady, "Oh my!" and she started to cry,
As the sea washed the rivals away.
But the Toad said, "My dear, try to be of good cheer.
Let's go up to my house by the bay, the bay,
We'll go up to my house by the bay."


Lady and Toad, in the latters abode,
Sat drinking their afternoon tea.
Discussing the weather, the stars, or whatever,
While watching the waves on the sea, the sea,
As together they gazed at the sea.
***********************************

Psst: I know that was long but so was the song you sang in my Gary Dornhoefer entry! Ha! We're even!

sunflowerkat said...

OK, ok....I can see that I'm going to have to find a show. If it's dancing, singing, and drinking...I'm in!

(BTW...Bruce is booked in Lowell MA on 8/26/06. Heads up!)

Gigi said...

Gosh, you make this all sound so wonderful! I'm so glad you had a terrific time ~ or should I say such a brilliant time! Thanks for the tip on the boys' LA engagement ~ I'm looking into it!

Jayz, I’d kill for a pinta porter... I feel like I know that song already... :)