Thursday, April 27, 2006

St. Paul's and the Tower

On Monday morning, we took the coach east to St. Paul's Cathedral and the Tower of London. St Paul's has stood on the same site for centuries, but was reconstructed after the fire of 1666. Dozens of British statesmen are buried there. The area of the cathedral behind the altar is used to house a display honoring and thanking the America for her assistance during the World Wars.
The Tower of London, viewed form Southwarke. Traitor's Gate is visible in the center, just above the Riverwall.

The Tower is actually more of a fortress. It has a long and bloody history, the site of torture and executions. Henry VIII ordered Anne Boleyn to be executed at the Tower; Elizabeth I had a number of rivals put to death here, including Lady Jane Grey.

The tower houses the crown jewels and is patrolled by Yeoman Warders who actually hate being called "Beefeaters".

Tower (not London) Bridge as seen from the Tower

Tower Bridge spans the Thames just east of the Tower. It is today the most recognizable of the several bridges that span the river. London Bridge exists today as a plain triple-arched concrete and brick structure. It's predecessor was dismantled in the 90's and reassembled at Lake Havasu in Arizona.

After lunch. we brought the students to Harrod's for shopping. I went off exploring and found the Devonshire Arms, a pub in the West End that merits, and shall receive, furthur description.

That evening, we attended "Blood Brothers", a musical set in Liverpool. The play tells the story of an impoverished mother who gives one of her infant twin boys to her childless employer. The boys eventually meet and become friends and rivals, unaware of their connection. It's message about British class-consciousness was a bit heavy-handed, but the the songs and the singing were just fine.

8 comments:

emmapeelDallas said...

What a great trip you had, and the photos are beautiful. I just watched the HBO 2 part series on Elizabeth with Helen Mirren (I love Helen Mirren) and between that and your descriptions and pics...I can only say I wish I were there.

Judi

Gannet Girl said...

You did a great job with these photos. I would have expected to see crowds of people, though, Were you there incredibly early in the morning?

Paul said...

The photographs were taken in the morning, but not incredibly early. I have lots that are full of casual people, but I crop them out whenever I can.

Chris said...

I enjoyed reading this entry, Paul. It made me think about how 97% of American is relatively new, architecturally and historically. We've all heard the stories of dastardly deeds but to actually see where it took place must have been sobering.

Thanks for letting us share in your trip.


Chris
My Blog

Anonymous said...

Re: the old London Bridge. It wasn't falling down, but too narrow for modern traffic. R.P. McCullough (of chainsaw fame) offered several million and it was dismantled stone by stone, hauled over by barge, and reassembled on the Colorado River at Lake Havasu City, with an "English" village (curio shops and a resort). It was 117 degrees the day we were there; I'm sure it's not very happy with it's new home. The tour boat guide pointed out gouges from the Blitz. It truly is remarkable to stand in the presence of a true grande dame of world history.
Great photos/commentary--I feel like I'm there with you.
*debbi*

Vicky said...

Dropping by on a recommendation from Gannet Girl (still can't get those html thingies right) and am enjoying your comments. You're talking about my home turf. And you will be visiting Scotland? I grew up in Edinburgh. Looking forward to hearing what you have to say about that fair city. Take warm clothes!! Expect rain! And enjoy the crystal clarity of the air after the city emerges from the soft deadening of the haar.

MariesImages said...

GREAT shots of London, just wish I could see more...; )
I love viewing photos of someone elses trip, sorta feel like I was part of it..
; )
Look forward to more of your wonderful photos.
Marie

Globetrotter said...

So who chaperoned you when you went off to the pub and left the kids at Harrods?

These pictures are gorgeous and the infusion of history makes this pictoral journey come alive for me.