Monday, February 11, 2008

The Legend of El Cangrejo


Don, a member of our party, is the father of four beautiful, high-spirited daughters (I call them "the bevy") who usually refer to him as "Boss." Lately, they've been complaining that he's turning a bit curmudgeonly, and even presented him with a t-shirt advertising the "Crabby Boss Bar and Grill."

On our return from the site of Columbus' settlement, we stopped at the Pescaderia Olivo, where the owner proudly displayed a platter of fresh lobsters and crabs. When he told me that the Spanish word for "crab" was "cangrejo," I turned to Don and announced, "I think someone has a new nickname."

From that point on, I missed no opportunity to introduce "El Cangrejo" to anyone we met. To the captain and crew on our deep-sea fishing trip, Don was El Cangrejo. To the bartenders and the vendors at the resort, he was El Cangrejo. To the fellow passengers and crew on the trimaran snorkling trip, he was El Cangrejo.

I didn't really appreciate the selling job I'd done until the captain of the trimaran approached me on the beach after we'd finished snorkling. "We going to go," he said, "as soon as Cangrejo get back from the baƱo."

Wait 'til the bevy get hold of this.

Langostas Y Cangrejos