On a December day with the temperature nearing fifty, I knew it was time for a Cape Cod photography jaunt. Last year I had gone to the mid-Cape, but this year I returned to Falmouth, where I had summered as a boy and caroused as a college kid. The photograph above is taken from the top of the hill at Falmouth Heights, looking east.
Heading west from the Heights, you come to the entrance to Falmouth Harbor. I drove around the head of the harbor and took the shot above from the Clam Shack wharf. In summer, the 110 and Beetle Cat fleets moor here.
I decided to continue west past along Surf Drive toward Wood's Hole, reversing the course of the annual Falmouth Road Race. When runners see the beach shack above, they know they are nearing the finish line.
The road race has made a star of the Nobska Point lighthouse. When I was a teenager, I had other, nocturnal uses for the tiny parking lot looking out over a moonlit Vineyard Sound.
A small tug tows a barge past Nobska Point toward Wood's Hole, with Martha's Vineyard as a backdrop. A mile or so farther west would bring me to the terminal of the Woods Hole, Martha's Vineyard, and Nantucket Steamship Authority.

3 comments:
Sigh. There are a lot more houses along the Falmouth coastline than I remember. But the cape is always beautiful in winter.
Ah...ever the Christmas junkie, I love the pic of the lighthouse with the gigantic wreath.
I want your weather...
Your photos of the Cape are beautiful!
Makes me long for summer on this dreary winter's day. I love the snow, but hate the slush. I remember you & your photography. I will add you to my Feedblitz subscriptions.
Thanks for visiting my Blog~
I love your nautical photography!!
Post a Comment