
After a hearty breakfast at the Thistle, we left Liverpool and headed north through Cumbria, home of Wordsworth's beloved lake country. Early in the day, the wind was calm and the reflections in the lakes we passed were striking. The lake shown above borders the picturesque town of Windermere, where we stopped briefly for refreshments.
Our lunchtime destination was the town of Grasmere, where Wordsworth chose to be buried. Grasmere was a quaint little town with shops, restaurants, and several small museums. We had lunch at a little place called the Cumbria Carvery.
The southern entrance to Grasmere. The Cumbria Carvery is on the left.After lunch. many of our group visited the grave of William Wordsworth at the north end of town.
Wordsworth is buried in the Grasmere churchyard. His sister Dorothy, to whom he bequeaths the wild ecstacies and sober pleasures of nature in "Lines (composed a few miles above Tintern Abbey)," is buried one gravesite away. Wordsworth also gave us this little gem:My heart leaps up when I behold
A rainbow in the sky:
So was it when my life began,
So is it now I am a man,
So be it when I shall grow old
Or let me die!
The Child is father of the Man:
And I could wish my days to be
Bound each to each by natural piety.
Sometime during the afternoon, we crossed the border into Scotland. Everything was about to change.
Hadrian's wall, built by the Romans in the fifth century, marks the northernmost incursion of the Roman Empire and approximates the border between England and Scotland.

9 comments:
Oh no -- suspense! I don't DO suspense.
Paul - am delighted you have finally crossed into the better half of Britain! Though your trip through the Lake District sounds wonderful. DO try the haggis with bashed neeps and champit tatties. Washed down by the requisite Scotch whisky of course (you, not your innocent charges).
You have no idea what vicarious delight you're giving me.
Hay, you like to go grave-hopping as much as I do!
Ditto Theresa...and oh, those pics of the lake country make me long to go there, although I've spent some happy, brief time in Scotland, too, a couple of light years ago.
Judi
Grasmere is to die for. How lucky for you (and us) to travel so extensively. The last photo roused a little memory--before heading off to my small liberal arts college, one of the required summer readings was Memoirs of Hadrian by Marguerite Yourcenar. Like Hadrian's Wall in the book, that summer marked the border between childhood and adulthood for me, and everything changed, too. Thanks for the recollection and can't wait for Scotland. *debbi*
I am in awe...and awaiting the next post!
Beautiful little "gem".
Paul,
Your photos throughout have been incredible! I can't wait to see what Scotland brings!
The top picture of the Lake Country makes me yearn for my old home back in Chester Springs. I lived in a tiny little enclave called Cotswold Estates where the 2 streets were named Houndstooth Lane (mine) and Windemere Lake Drive. This gorgeous little area epitomized the characteristics of the LAke country as it was dotted with small lakes nestled amongst rolling hills.
Did you go to Wales? Loved Dylan Thomas's Portrait of the Artist as a Young Dog and would love to travel there one day.
You learn a lot in cemetaries. Great photos and interesting tidbits.
Chris
My Blog
Post a Comment