Stirling, sometimes considered the gateway to the Highlands, was the childhood home of Ian, our guide. Its castle has been of strategic importance throughout Scotland's history.
The William Wallace monument, seen from Stirling Castle. The bridge in the foreground is the site of one of Scotland's victories over the English. Wallace's deeds are celebrated in Braveheart, but Ian wanted us to know that Robert the Bruce was not the traitor to Scotland portrayed in the film.On our way farther west, we stopped for lunch at the Trossachs Woolen Mills. There, in addition to having some hearty fare of our own, we were able to feed Hamish, a gigantic but gentle Highland bull. Highland cattle look almost prehistoric, with huge heads, expansive racks of horns, and shaggy coats.
Hamish was so popular that I was unable to get an unobstructed photograph of him. I borrowed and edited this shot from the Trossachs website.We then pushed on to Dunbarton, where we had scheduled a boat ride along Loch Lomond, the largest loch in Scotland.
We pulled up at Sweeney's Cruises and boarded the Antis for a tour of the south end of the loch.
Looking north on Loch Lomond, you can glimpse the Highlands in the distance. There seems to be an almost magical air about them.After our boat ride, we boarded the bus for the long ride back to Cumbia that evening, and another trek to Manchester Airport on Sunday morning. I have tried to capture some of the essence of this adventure with my words and photographs, and I would like to thank those readers who rode along with me during this account, and encouraged me to continue. I plan to leave teaching after next year, and I look forward to reliving these days with the students in my classes.

8 comments:
From what I know of you, your departure from teaching will be a huge loss to the next decade of students. Are you going to sit comfortably on your state retirement income and write your heart out? That could be a really good thing.
As far as the trip ...I have just this week discovered a huge island of nesting gannets (well, in July) in the Firth of Forth, where I WILL NOT BE. At least I don't think so, although I haven't entirely given up on the idea.
Thank you so much for the travelogue, entertaining innuendo and all.
Och, Paul, it's been a grand journey - thank you for taking us along! I am so glad I happened onto your blog by way of gannet girl. Glad you had such a fine time, and that Scotland was of course (although you don't actually SAY so) the best bit!! ;)
Welcome home, and I look forward to reading more.
Paul,
It is a shock to think that you are leaving the teaching profession when their is such a dearth of fine teachers in the system anymore. I had so few wonderful teachers as a child and the one that touched me most significantly was my 11th grade English teacher, Rodney Cell. He introduced me to Dylan Thomas, Thomas Hardy, Shakespeare and so many others in that one short year, and kindled an intellectual curiosity in me that I would certainly not have had without that guidance. I know that you will be sorely missed by the students and your peer group as well within your teaching community.
The gorgeous pictures, the amusing anecdotes and the sing-alongs have been marvelously entertaining, informative and very well written in the typical Belfast Cowboy style. I have enjoyed the travelogue tremendously.
They should name that strawberry blond bull The Donal. No typo intended. I crack myself up.
You took some very stirring photographs, Paul. The "hippy" cattle was different.
Chris
My Blog
Paul, thanks for the journey. I`ve really enjoyed it.
I have really enjoyed reading your posts about this trip, and seeing the pics you've posted.
Judi
I know I came in on your trip long after the fact, but enjoyed it none the less.
Sorry I have been AWOL...I've missed you!!!
XOXO
Post a Comment