On Tuesday we joined a crew of scurvy knaves for a catamaran trip that included sailing, snorkling the reef, lunch at an Isla Mujeres beach club, and free time to explore the island.
The crew included the captain, the bartender, the mate, and Pedro (holding the beer), who was master of ceremonies. It took about an hour and a half to get to the reef. The snorkling was spectacular; we saw dozens of yellow tang and smallmouth grunt, some queen parrotfish, and several barracuda. At one point I was enveloped in a huge school of sergeant-majors.
On the return trip, Pedro emerged from the cabin in sombrero and serape carrying a bottle of tequila. Amid trills and ay-yi-yi's, he began inveigling the already well-lubricated guests to take shots of tequila. The atmosphere changed almost instantly to party time.
Pedro's enthusiasm was so infectious that he was able to lure even the most reticent of passengers into taking hits of the local spirit.
In some cases, Pedro was too successful. In the photograph above, the tramp-stamped, boob-jobbed bleached-blonde is about five minutes away from removing her bikini top, and bare-chested Harvey is about ten minutes away from sliding down the cabin bulkhead and almost into the water.
Poor Harvey. Of all the ways to return from a cruise, the wheelbarrow is probably the most demeaning. Kathleen and I wound up helping his wife Marlene get him into the front seat of a taxi and riding with them back to the hotel. Sitting in back, I kept a hand on Harvey's shoulder to keep him from falling into the driver. Thinking my hand was Marlene's, Harvey stroked it gratefully all the way back.All photographs in this entry by Kathleen.

6 comments:
Literally LOLOL. A cross between the Real OC Housewives and Survivor? I'm so glad for Harvey that there were some people on board practicing total abstinence.
Ay-yi-yi! Oh, that is too funny. What could be more ignominious than being brought home in a wheelbarrow?
Being photographed being brought home in a wheelbarrow, that's what!
Ah, how Pedro and compadres must laugh...:D
Sounds fabulous! (Well, maybe not for Harvey!)
The most important of the crew seems to have been the bartender and Pedro!
Neat to snorkel..hope the school of Sergeant Majors saluted you!
I'd be shopping with Kathleen!
Oh, this was great. The best line of all was Harvery stroking your hand. I'm also very grateful that the worst way I ever made it home was in a borrowed wheelchair, not a wheelbarrow. I know that you and Kathleen had the willpower to not indulge. Ok, I just laughed again.
Hahahaha! Sorry but I can't help it. The pic of Harvey on a wheelbarrow is funny. I'm glad you had a great time. Do not holdout on us now, post the other pics with more Tequila.
I've been enveloped in a school of sergeant majors, snorkelling in Cayman a couple of light years ago, and there is nothing more beautiful...
Post a Comment