The ferry slows at it passes between Logan Airport in East Boston and Castle Island in Southie. It docks at Central Wharf, right next to the New England Aquarium.
You need only to cross Atlantic Avenue and head one block north to arrive at Quincy Market, one of Boston's most popular attractions. Choices abound here for a pre-prandial cocktail or glass of wine.Most of what had been Haymarket Square has been pre-empted by Quincy Market, but a few vendors remain tucked between the Market and the North End.
It is another short walk to the North End, Boston's most famous gustatory destination. Hanover Street is alive with throngs of people, lining up for Mike's Pastry, Giacomo's Restaurant, or any of the dozens of other possibilities.Although we have tried others, we always come back to 5 North Square. On our most recent visit, I asked proprietor George D'Amelio for a recommendation other than the house specialty I'd ordered several times.
"Do you like eggplant?" he asked.
"I love eggplant," I answered.
"My wife makes the eggplant parmigiana. It's not on the menu, but we have it tonight."
Not one to question the wisdom of an Italian restaurateur, I followed George's recommendation. The server nodded knowingly when I placed the order.
I was not disappointed.


